Pinterest Previous articlePrison term of drunken driver who killed pregnant Donegal woman is increasedNext articleHarkin says Troika policies damaged Ireland News Highland Pinterest Dail to vote later on extending emergency Covid powers Facebook John Downey has said he remains committed to the peace process and wants to see the establishment of an international truth commission.The 62 year old, who is based in Creeslough, had ben charged in connection with the 1982 Hyde Park bombings in which 4 soldiers died, but the case against him collapsed when a letter was produced by his legal team stating he wasn’t wanted by police.Mr Downey denies any involvement in the bombing.Speaking to the Donegal Democrat, John Downey says he became an active member of the IRA after watc hing television images of the civil rights struggle, and was jailed for IRA membership in 1974.However, he says war is ugly from all sides, and he became involved in the strategy when it became clear that their objectives could be achieved through peaceful means.He says he became a persuader on the ground, and says during the course of the peace process he has shaken the hands of people he would have previously viewed as enemies.On his arrest at Gatwick Airport in May of last year, he says he has no idea why he was detained, having received the letter in 2007 stating he was not wanted by the PSNI or any police force in the UK.He says he had previously travelled through airports in Derry, Belfast, Birmingham and Stanstead with no difficulty.On the political fallout from the collapse of the case against him, he rejects claims that unionists were not aware of the letters, saying the letter was thr product of a deal between the two governments.On the media interest in a planned homecoming which was subsequently cancelled, he asks where the media were when he was working for peace and meeting former enemies to advance the process.He concludes by backing calls for an international truth commission, saying at the end of the day, he is a republican who wants to go forward in peace and harmony with the unioinist community. Google+ PSNI and Gardai urged to investigate Adams’ claims he sheltered on-the-run suspect in Donegal Twitter Dail hears questions over design, funding and operation of Mica redress scheme RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Google+ Twitter John Downey calls for international truth commission WhatsApp By News Highland – March 13, 2014 Man arrested in Derry on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences released WhatsApp HSE warns of ‘widespread cancellations’ of appointments next week News Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry
The cast of ‘In Transit'(Photo: Emilio Madrid-Kuser) In Transit Related Shows Show Closed This production ended its run on April 16, 2017 Broadway’s aca-awesome musical In Transit celebrated 100 performances on February 7. (How many MetroCard swipes is that?) The cast gathered at the Circle in the Square Theatre to snack on a treat that is always worth a train transfer or two: Schmackary’s Cookies! The company, including Moya Angela, Chesney Snow, Sara Wordsworth, Justin Guarini, Adam Bashian, David Abeles, Gerianne Perez, Mariand Torres, Margo Seibert, Erin Mackey, Arbender Robinson, James-Allen Ford, Aurelia Williams, Nicholas Ward and Telly Leung, posed for a pic. Check out the hot shot, and be sure to take a subway ride over to Circle in the Square to catch the musical ASAP! View Comments
The Oil and Gas Authority today released the results of the £20 million UK Government-funded seismic programme to promote exploration activity in under-explored areas of UK Continental Shelf. This data will support the forthcoming 31st offshore licensing round which will open in mid-2018.This dataset is now available to industry and academia, and contains close to 19,000 km of newly acquired broadband seismic data, new gravity and magnetic surveys, approximately 23,000 km of reprocessed legacy seismic data, a rejuvenated set of digital well data, in addition to various supplementary reports.The new marine 2D surveys, acquired during Summer 2016, cover the East Shetland Platform and South West Britain areas, with reprocessed datasets stretching along the English Channel and up the western areas of the UK as far as the Hebrides. Together with data from the 2015 seismic programme, this provides a regional exploration dataset for almost all of the UK’s under-explored offshore shelf, in regions where no substantial activity has occurred in decades.The OGA has also released a set of regional studies on the East Shetland Platform and SW Approaches Basin and a comprehensive set of regional maps across the Southern North Sea to supplement maps published earlier this year for the Central North Sea and Moray Firth. An updated UKCS well tops database is also available with the aim of providing these data in a more readily accessible format.The East Shetland Platform and SW Approaches studies were funded by the OGA through the 21st Century Exploration Roadmap (21CXRM) initiative and the contract for a second phase of studies in these areas, jointly funded by the OGA and an industry participant group, was recently awarded to APT.Jo Bagguley, OGA principal regional geologist, said: “The seismic acquisition programme is a vital part of the OGA’s plan to help revitalise exploration with up to £40 million already spent to provide modern coverage of nearly all underexplored regions of the UKCS. This new data will provide valuable insight to companies identifying new plays and prospects ahead of the 31st Offshore Licensing Round in 2018.“The UKCS has a lot to play for with up to 10 to 20 billion barrels of oil still remaining. The challenge is now for industry to increase the level and quality of exploration drilling across the UKCS and work together with the OGA in maximising economic recovery.”Katy Heidenreich, Oil & Gas UK’s operations optimisation manager, said: “Improving access to quality well and seismic data is a key lever to unlocking exploration activity on the UKCS. This data release marks another key milestone in the collective drive towards improving commercial success rates and stimulating fresh interest in potential new development opportunities.”PGS and WesternGeco were awarded the contracts to acquire and process seismic data from the East Shetland Platform and South West Britain respectively. Acquisition was completed in late 2016, mirroring the 2015 seismic programme which saw more than 40,000 km of new and reprocessed data successfully released to industry.This second seismic acquisition programme forms part of a package of measures from the UK Government designed to support the oil and gas sector. The areas were selected following engagement with industry and endorsed by the MER UK Exploration Task Force.PGS vessel the Nordic Explorer carried out seismic surveys across the East Shetland Platform which includes the East Orkney Basin, East Fair Isle Basin and Dutch Bank Basin. The WesternGeco vessel WG Magellan carried out seismic surveys around South West Britain, including; the Celtic Sea, Western English Channel, Bristol Channel, St George’s Channel and the Irish Sea.
Facebook16Tweet0Pin0submitted by Adopt-A-PetMeet Julian! He is a cute, alert, and sweet little dog who is looking for snuggles and a forever home. Julian is dog friendly, likes children, would do well with cats, and did well on his van ride. He enjoys walks, cuddles, and is a wonderful companion.Adopt-A-Pet has many great dogs and always need volunteers. To see all our current dogs, visit the Adopt-A-Pet website, our Facebook page or at the shelter on Jensen Road in Shelton. For more information, email [email protected] or call 360-432-3091.
The life and legacy of Nelson Mandela spans the globe and has touched many, from ordinary people to respected leaders, past and present. The United Nations and The Elders spoke fondly about Mandela’s life and the lessons he has left in his wake. World leaders admire Nelson Mandela for his contribution to humanity. In particular, The Elders, a group comprising former heads of state, Nobel laureates, leading entrepreneurs and philanthropists, remember him fondly. (Image: The Elders, Facebook)Compiled by Priya PitamberNelson Mandela is remembered in the highest of regards by leaders, past and present, across the world.South Africa and the rest of the globe commemorated Nelson Mandela International Day on what would have been his 98th birthday, 18 July 2016.The day was a chance to reflect on the life and work of a legend who embodied the highest values of the United Nations, said UN deputy secretary-general Jan Eliasson.“We remember a man of quiet dignity and towering achievement who worked tirelessly for peace and human dignity,” he added, delivering the message on behalf of UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon.Mandela continued to show the way, because he “gave 67 years of his life to bring change to the people of South Africa”.“His accomplishments came at great personal cost to himself and his family. His sacrifice not only served the people of his nation, but all people around the world, giving them hope to fulfil their dreams and aspirations,” Eliasson said.How The Elders remember MandelaIn 2007, Mandela spearheaded the establishment of The Elders, a group comprising former heads of state, Nobel laureates, leading entrepreneurs and philanthropists who would “contribute their wisdom, independent leadership and integrity to tackle some of the world’s toughest problems”.Founding members included South African Archbishop emeritus Desmond Tutu, philanthropist and Mandela’s widow, Graça Machel, former UN chief Kofi Annan, former US president Jimmy Carter, former Irish prime minister Mary Robinson and Bangladeshi social banker Muhammad Yunus.The group fondly remembers Mandela:Images: The Elders, Facebook
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The 52nd episode of the Ohio Ag Net Podcast, brought to you by AgriGold, is packed with the agricultural issues of the day.Ty Higgins has some viewpoint on the recent trade dispute between the U.S. and China in which agriculture is caught in the crosshairs as he talks with Mike Steenhoek, executive director of the Soy Transportation Coalition.Matt Reese hears from Jenna Gregorich, bird health programs manager for the Ohio Poultry Association. OPA held their annual banquet this past weekend.Dale Minyo was the Ohio Dairy Producers Association Spring Meeting and visited with ODPA’s Scott Higgins.All that and more fun conversation in the Ohio Ag Net Podcast.
Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Hawks: Atlanta missed 20 of its first 22 3-pointers. . Taurean Prince has started all 59 of Atlanta’s games, but the other four starters — Dedmon, John Collins, Tyler Dorsey and Malcolm Delaney — had 29 starts combined before Wednesday.Pistons: Detroit is now 5-3 with Griffin in the lineup. . Drummond led the Pistons in rebounds for the 19th straight game.GRIFFIN GETS COMFORTABLEGriffin felt it was his best offensive performance since joining the Pistons, despite going 4 for 10 from the floor and missing his only three shots from inside the 3-point line.“We had a good flow going, and that was a big reason we jumped out to that big lead,” he said. “It is definitely getting easier to recognize what we’re doing in the offensive sets.”UP NEXTHawks: Host the Indiana Pacers on Feb. 23 after an eight-day All-Star break.Pistons: Host the Boston Celtics on Feb. 23 after an eight-day All-Star break. “I’ve only had two shootarounds with the team, so I’ve been trying to memorize the video playbook they gave me,” White said. “I’ve worked as hard as I’ve ever worked over the last three days, just to get ready for the minute or two I thought I might play.”The Hawks, who beat the Pistons 118-115 on Sunday, were missing three key players, including leading scorers Dennis Schroder (lower back) and Kent Bazemore (rest). Former Piston Ersan Ilyasova (shoulder) also sat out.“It is pretty obvious that this was a night that didn’t look like it was going to go well for us as a group,” Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said. “It looked like they were going to pull away on us, but it is a credit to the character of these guys that they fought back and made it a game.”Detroit led by 12 points at the half, then started the third quarter with its second 17-2 run of the game. That put the Pistons ahead by 25, and the margin was 30 before the Hawks finally broke 40 points with 5:20 left in the third.Detroit still led 82-61 at quarter’s end, but Van Gundy called a timeout after the Hawks cut the margin to 89-74 with 6:58 to play. Atlanta got the lead to single figures, 94-86, with 2:58 left, forcing another timeout. The Pistons fouled two 3-point shots in the final minute along with allowing a three-point play, much to Van Gundy’s disgust.That made it 100-96 with 10 seconds to play, but Smith hit two free throws to clinch the game.“That was an embarrassing fourth quarter,” Van Gundy said. “We played well for about 35 minutes, but we didn’t bring anything after that.”The undermanned Hawks got off to a quick lead, but Detroit finished the first quarter on a 17-2 run to lead 22-14. The offenses continued to struggle in the second, with the Pistons outscoring Atlanta 23-19 to take a 45-33 lead at the half.“I thought we were playing decent basketball, but we just couldn’t get a shot to go in the basket in the first half,” Budenholzer said.Detroit shot 38 percent in the half, led by 12 points from Smith, and held Atlanta to 33.3 percent. Dewayne Dedmon led the Hawks with eight points and seven rebounds in the half, but didn’t have a basket or a rebound in 11 second-half minutes.TIP-INS Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises LATEST STORIES MOST READ NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games PLAY LIST 00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City AFP official booed out of forum Read Next Detroit led by 30 points midway through the third quarter, but was outscored 59-35 in the final 17 minutes as Atlanta got as close as four before the Pistons held on for a 104-98 victory on Wednesday night in their final game before the All-Star break.“We gave our bench a 30-point lead, and they didn’t even try at either end of the floor,” he said. “We should have been able to shut down our starters, but we had to bring them back, and they didn’t bring anything either.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“We left 15 minutes early for the break, but I’ll take the win and move on.”Blake Griffin narrowly missed his first triple-double with the Pistons, finishing with 13 points, 12 rebounds and nine assists, but agreed with his coach that the end of the game wasn’t acceptable. Atlanta Hawks forward Mike Muscala (31) and Detroit Pistons forward Blake Griffin (23) battle for a rebound in the second half of an NBA basketball game in Detroit, Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018. Detroit won 104-98. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)DETROIT — Ending a three-game losing streak wasn’t enough to make Stan Van Gundy happy.Not after the Pistons made it much harder than necessary.ADVERTISEMENT Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding “We moved the ball and we played great defense to build the lead to 30,” he said. “But there’s no excuse for the way we played defense for the rest of the game. We were still OK on offense, but we missed a lot of open shots.”Van Gundy thought his team’s poor shooting — 26.3 percent in the fourth quarter — cost Griffin his milestone.“He probably should have had 14 or 15 assists, but we kept missing wide-open looks and layups,” Van Gundy said. “He was doing a great job of passing.”Ish Smith had 22 points and nine assists, while Andre Drummond added 13 points and 15 rebounds. Detroit had seven players in double figures.Andrew White III had 15 points for the Hawks in his NBA debut, while John Collins had 11 points and 10 rebounds.ADVERTISEMENT PBA greenlights Jericho Cruz trade to TNT View comments
TFA are pleased to announce that the new AusTouch website is up and running! Just click on the AusTouch logo on the left hand side of the webpage and away you go…There is heaps of information, downloads, ideas and news. Make sure you check out the website and read all about the AusTouch junior program. For all enquiries on the program contact Marianne Maguire on [email protected] or 1300 654 002.
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Man Utd manager Solskjaer hopeful Pogba fit to face Tottenhamby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is hopeful that Paul Pogba will be fit for Saturday’s clash with Tottenham Hotspur.Pogba missed Saturday’s win over Reading due to a knock sustained against Newcastle last week.The Frenchman has been in stunning form since Jose Mourinho’s departure and Solskjaer hopes he can continue that form against Spurs.”Paul has had his knock and has had a few days of treatment back home,” Solskjaer said of Pogba, who initially stayed in Manchester for treatment.”Hopefully, we can get Paul on his feet during this week.”
REVEALED: Chelsea give up Hazard option as part of BVB Pulisic dealby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea have scrapped their option for Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Thorgan Hazard.BILD says in talks with Borussia Dortmund to sign Christian Pulisic, Chelsea agreed to write off their first refusal clause for Hazard.BVB see Hazard as a replacement for Pulisic and weren’t prepared to sell the American to the Blues unless they agreed not to compete for the Belgium international.Hazard confirmed recently, “Yes, Chelsea has a say in what happens to me. But that’s governed by the clubs.”However, the Blues will now allow BVB to move for the midfielder without any counter offer. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say