Franklin R. Chang Díaz, one of only two NASA astronauts to fly on seven space shuttle missions, was inducted into the U.S. space agency’s Hall of Fame in May 2012. The Costa Rican-born Chang Díaz also is the first Hispanic member of the hall. “I’m a product of two cultures and this honor here has a special meaning to me because it’s given by those who have always been my heroes,” Chang Díaz said. Chang Díaz served in the astronaut program, logging more than 1,600 hours in space, including 19 hours and 31 minutes during three spacewalks. He helped deploy the SATCOM KU satellite, the European Retrievable Carrier satellite, the Tethered Satellite System, the Space Habitation Module-2 and the Galileo spacecraft on its journey to Jupiter. On his final mission, STS-111 in 2002, Chang Díaz installed the mobile base system on the International Space Station and replaced the failed wrist joint on Canadarm 2, a robotic arm used to move supplies. By Dialogo July 01, 2012
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Suffolk County police are asking for the public’s help in finding the vandals that spray painted “Trump Lies” with a swastika replacing the M in five locations since last month, authorities said.The messages were found on the County Road 19-Long Island Expressway overpass in Holtsville on Jan. 1, the Hawkins Avenue-LIE overpass in Ronkonkoma the next day, on a wall on Horseblock Road in Yaphank on Jan. 18, on a cement barrier on the Horseblock Road-Long Island Rail Road overpass in Medford on Feb. 3 and on a billboard on Veterans Memorial Highway in Ronkonkoma on Feb. 27, police said.Hate Crimes detectives are investigating the incidents are bias crimes. The incidents are the latest in a recent string of swastikas that have been found on LI.Last month, a swastika made of Silly String was found on a sidewalk in Jericho and two swastikas were found spray painted in a park in Massapequa. A 20-foot swastika was found dug into a Levittown ball field in December and that same month a Nassau Community College student was arrested for drawing swastikas around campus.And in late November, swastikas were found spray painted along with the message “Make America White Again,” a play on President Donald Trump’s campaign slogan, on a sidewalk in Mineola.In addition to these incidents, someone recently spray painted two swastikas on the side of a Pear Street home in Central Islip, Suffolk County police said. The homeowner reported the crime at 11 p.m. Monday, Feb. 20.Under New York State law, swastika graffiti is considered aggravated first-degree harassment punishable by up to four years in prison and $5,000 in fines, plus restitution.Suffolk County Crime Stoppers is offering a cash reward of up to $5,000 for information that leads to an arrest in the “Trump Lies” cases. Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
An Australian politician has called for the creation of a single agency to oversee the investment of the country’s superannuation funds.Former Australian treasurer Peter Costello, who is now chairman of Australia’s Future Fund, said so-called super funds – which manage more than AUD2.3trn (€1.52trn) – should be run by a central government agency.Currently, the assets are managed by industry super funds, which are not-for-profit, as well as funds run by for-profit organisations – mostly large commercial banks. There is also a growing number of self-managed super funds.Costello, speaking in a personal capacity at a conference of superannuation managers in Melbourne, urged the government to “show some interest in managing [super funds] in a cost-efficient way”. He cited the Canada Pension Plan as a good model of how a government agency was able to drive the investment of national pension savings.The national pension pool of Canada, a country that shares many similarities with Australia, is managed and invested by a government body, the Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB), he said. “CPPIB currently has C$300bn [€203bn] in investments. It has economies of scale. It is extremely active in Australia. It would be one of the most respected investors in the world,” Costello said.CPPIB was an example of how a long-term sovereign fund investing defined contributions could get global reach and valuable diversification in asset class and geography, he added.Costello’s comments coincide with discussions about consolidation of pension funds in several other countries, especially the UK – where public sector pensions are actively pooling investments – and the Netherlands.According to Costello, such a body should be a not-for-profit agency, which could then either set up its own CPPIB-like investment board or contract out the management.“A bigger pool with economies of scale and access to the best managers would likely drive down costs and drive up returns,” Costello said. “There would be huge economies of scale.”Costello also criticised the efficiency of compulsory superannuation, a system established 25 years ago, which now requires 9.5% of workers’ earnings to be diverted into private accounts. The system was a direct influence in the UK when the government set up its auto-enrolment programme.“This is not a system still in infancy. We are now starting to get people who have spent nearly their whole working lives in it,” said Costello. “On average (male and female) the balance is AUD137,144. That balance is worth less than the value of six years of age pension.”Australia’s superannuation system “has certainly delivered benefits for those working in it – but it does not exist for them”, he continued. “It exists for those who are forfeiting wages month in and month out in the expectation that in 10, 20, 30, 40 years, they will get to enjoy the fruits of their labour.”Note: This article has been updated to clarify that Costello’s remarks were in regard to a government agency running super funds’ assets, not full mergers between schemes; and to include not-for-profit funds in the description of the super funds industry.
Loading… He could then return to west London in 2021 to potentially replace Silva, who will sign an initial one-year contract with Chelsea. Lampard has already captured Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech this summer. read also:Chelsea ready to off-load Fikayo Tomori And reports claim a club-record deal for Bayer Leverkusen’s Kai Havertz is also close to completion. Chelsea are nearing a move for Leicester left-back Ben Chilwell too. And they look set to pocket over £50m by offloading Emerson Palmieri and Tiemoue Bakayoko to Inter and AC Milan respectively. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street Art13 kids at weddings who just don’t give a hootThe Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldBest Car Manufacturers In The WorldThe Best Cars Of All TimeTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?Albino Animals: A Rare Kind Of Ultimate Beauty7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty Penny6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes Chelsea are reportedly considering sending Fikayo Tomori on loan to Everton. The Telegraph claims Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti wants to bring the 22-year-old to Goodison Park and bolster his defence. The Toffees are keen on signing a centre-back this summer, and Tomori would also provide cover at right-back. The England international played 22 times last season under Frank Lampard but lost his place in the side by the end of the season. Chelsea are now understood to be on the verge of signing Thiago Silva on a free transfer after his Paris Saint-Germain exit. And Lampard’s solution to also having Kurt Zouma, Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen at Stamford Bridge is to loan Tomori out for much-needed minutes and experience.Advertisement
For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Providence : Veteran Mithali Raj smashed a aggressive half century to guide India to an easy 7-wicket victory over arch-rivals Pakistan in the ICC Women’s World T20 in Providence on Sunday. Raj anchored the Indian run chase with a 47-ball 56 which she made with the help of seven fours in the Group B match which was marred by unprecedented docking of 10 penalty runs on Pakistan. Even before a ball being faced, 10 runs were on India’s scoreboard after Pakistan were docked five-run penalty twice during their innings on account of their batswomen running on the danger area of the pitch during their inningsIndia chased down the target of 134 with six balls to spare, reaching 137 for 3 in 19 overs. Previous game centurion and captain Harmanpreet Kaur and Veda Krishnamurthy remained not out on 14 and 8 respectively. With the win on Sunday, India (with four points) made a big step towards making it to the semifinals from the five-team Group B. Two teams each from the two groups qualify for the semifinals. India also avenged their narrow 2-run defeat under D/L method against Pakistan in New Delhi in the previous edition of the tournament in 2016. India made a strong start with openers Raj and Smriti Mandhana (26) finding the boundaries at regular intervals in their 73-run stand from 9.3 overs. Mandhana fell to Bismah Maroof with Omaima Sohail taking a superb catch at deep square leg. The 18-year-old Jemimah Rodrigues (16), who scored a half century in the previous game against New Zealand, seemed to continue from where she left but she played a shot too many and perished in the process, caught and bowled by Nida Dar in the 15th over. Earlier, Indian bowlers pinned Pakistan down for most part of their innings before allowing them to wriggle out for 133 for 7. Opting to field after winning the toss, India made a great start with the ball, reducing Pakistan to 30 for 3 in the seventh over. Pakistan made a fine recovery thanks to half centuries from Bismah Maroof (53) and Nida Dar (52) as the duo stitched 93 runs for the fourth wicket to take their side to a competitive total. India also dropped at least three easy catches, which allowed Pakistan to come back into the Group B match. Opening bowler Arundhati Reddy immediately gave India the breakthrough by having Ayesha Zafar caught at the slips by Veda Krishnamurthy for nought in the final delivery of the first over. Pakistan were yet to open account then and they could have been in a worse situation had Smriti Mandhana not dropped captain Javeria Khan in the third over. But two run-outs in the space of three overs gave India the upper hand.First an outstanding direct throw from 18-year old Jemimah Rodrigues sent Umaima Sohail back to the pavilion in the fourth over while captain Javeria witnessed the same fate in the seventh over after a mixed-up. Pakistan were on the ropes but India allowed them to gain grounds by having three dropped catches. All the three were regulation catches.Veda Krishnamurthy dropped Nida Dar while on 15 in the 11th over. Poonam Yadav dropped the same batswoman in the 13th over when she was on 23. The next over, Poonam made a mess of a Bismah Maroof skier as she completely misjudged the trajectory of the ball. Pakistan were still not out of the woods as they could only reach 53 for 3 at the half-way stage but the sloppy Indian fielding allowed their two batswomen Dar and Maroof to gain in confidence. The Pakistani duo began to hit boundaries at regular intervals and both reached to their fifties towards the end of the innings.Maroof was the first to reach to her fifty in the 17th over while Dar did the same in the next over. But both were out in the same 19th over in the space of three balls with Dayalan Hemalatha picking the two wickets. Poonam Yadav then scalped two Pakistani wickets in the final over — that of Aliya Riaz (4) and Sana Mir (0). Pakistan were penalised for five runs twice during their innings for their batswomen running on the danger area. Thus, 10 runs were added to India’s innings when they come out to bat.
The primary elections, definitely in Broward County, also boosted the electability of Black candidates. Several key positions in Broward County including County Sheriff, public defender, supervisor of elections, state attorney, clerk of the courts, are likely to be held by a Black official after November 3. Voter turnout increased significantly in South Florida from an average of 18 percent in primary elections, in 2016 and 2018, to 27 percent. The final turnout count could have been higher, but the respective supervisors of elections indicated that fairly high numbers of voters who requested mail-in/absentee ballots did not return the ballots or returned them late. The August 18 primary elections in Florida displayed some positive signs which augur well for the general election on November 3—and hopefully going forward. Voters, however, should still be vigilant, since there is potential for some negatives. It’s also necessary to enhance education and information to voters on how to cast their votes, especially for people who may opt to vote by mail or during early voting. Another positive take away from the recent primary elections is the success of Caribbean-American candidates. Of the 32 Caribbean Americans who sought office, nine were successful, and two will face run-off elections in November. While 21 Caribbean Americans failed in their bid, their presence motivated significant voter turnout. Several of the losing candidates also gained well over 25 percent of the votes in their respective races. Additionally, many mail-in ballots were rejected because voters either did not sign the provided envelope in which the ballots were placed, or signed with unrecognized signatures. Voters are reminded that if they vote with mail-in ballots they must place their signature on the envelope as requested, and with signatures that are as close as possible to their normal signature. The election of these officers is a testament to the surging influence of the Black vote in South Florida. While the supervisors of elections indicated a significant increase in demand for mail-in ballots, the fact that a high number of ballots were not returned to the SOE offices is also of concern. It’s likely the COVID-19 pandemic will still be a major factor in the region for the next several months, and most voters could be wary of voting in person. But it seems voters need more education about how to vote by mail. Not one ballot can be afforded to be rejected. The relative success of Caribbean American candidates is a good sign of the growth in the influence of this community in South Florida politics, and their willingness to support candidates of their own ethnicity. This should continue. Including Haitian, Dominican Republican and Puerto Rican Americans, there are over 800,000 first- and second-generation Caribbean Americans in South Florida. It’s only natural to expect this population will have more confidence in being represented by their own in public office. It’s certainly hoped those candidates who lost their respective races will not be deterred from seeking office in future elections. There’s much more work to be done to increase voter turnout in November. While turnout in South Florida averages some 73 percent in recent general elections, the missing 27 percent can have serious consequences, in deciding the president and the U.S. Congress. CNW has ascertained that a fair percentage of voters are unaware they can complete and drop off their mail-in ballots either at polling sites or directly at an SOE office. Some voters, wary of the possibility of ballots being held up at post offices, held on to their ballots, ignorant that they could be dropped off. While any improvement in voter turnout is worth noting, the flip side here is that 73 percent of registered voters didn’t vote. It cannot be good for South Floridians that only over a quarter of the population is choosing the officials, who will be handling their issues. What’s also concerning is that there continues to be a lack of interest in voting for local government. County and city governments, local school boards, and local courts are the ones that directly affect residents in their day-to-day lives. Finally, it has come to light there are still large numbers of Caribbean Americans—mostly seniors—who are citizens and eligible to vote, but who are not registered voters. Caribbean Americans are urged to ensure everyone in their household who is eligible to vote is registered to vote. The deadline to register for the November 3 election is October 5. This election is too important to leave any vote uncast.
Ayittey Powers Interview after the fight when he lost to Bukum Banko on Thursday Night.