Facebook News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Google+ Google+ Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Facebook WhatsApp Twitter The Leaving Cert written exams this summer have been cancelled.Students will have the option to sit them at a later date or accept a predicted grade.Teachers will provide a score for each subject and it’ll have to be approved by the school principal.The Department of Education will then make sure there’s an even national spread before students get their results.Minister Joe McHugh said: “I have made every effort to run the 2020 Leaving Certificate as close as possible to the way the examinations were originally intended to be held.“My desire had been to allow students to undertake the written and practical examinations in July and August but I have compelling evidence, based on medical advice and other assessments, that the Leaving Certificate examinations cannot be held in a reliable and valid manner, nor in a way that would be equitable for students.”Minister McHugh said: “The reality of the impact of Covid-19 has led to a decision that has never happened in our country before. I fully appreciate the magnitude of this issue, for the students and their families, for the teachers and for school principals.“This decision is taken with the best interests of students at heart. I have a responsibility to find a fair way to address the disadvantage that some students are facing and the impact a lack of time in school has had in recent weeks.“The system being put in place will allow a young person to progress to the next stage of their life in a timely fashion.“The fairest and most equitable way to do that in the current circumstances is to offer students the option of Calculated Grades for the 2020 Leaving Certificate but also to guarantee them the right to sit the examinations at a later stage when it is safe to hold them in the normal way.“The decision has to be taken now to remove the anxiety that many students have been experiencing over how the exams would look later in the summer.”Minister McHugh thanked the advisory group of stakeholders for their input in recent weeks in relation to the holding of the examinations. Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Pinterest By News Highland – May 8, 2020 DL Debate – 24/05/21 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Pinterest Previous articlePetition launched as fears heighten for Pieta House North WestNext articleFlu Fighting with Patrick Holford News Highland Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Breaking: Leaving Cert written exams cancelled WhatsApp Twitter Homepage BannerNews Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme
Tom and Henry Herbert, the faces of National Craft Bakers’ Week 2012, are challenging UK bakers to “show them what they’ve got”.The Fabulous Baker Brothers from the popular Channel 4 television series are drumming up support for the week on 8-13 October, which is organised by the National Association of Master Bakers (NAMB).Posing on a bike armed with traditional artisan bread, the Herbert brothers are promoting the cause to celebrate the great taste and raise the profile of freshly baked cakes, pastries and breads made by bakers UK-wide.Tom Herbert, a fifth-generation craft baker and former British Baker columnist, said: “National Craft Bakers’ Week is a great opportunity to celebrate the role that the craft baker plays in the centre of the community and in society. The bakery should be at the hub of the community. The bakery is a great place for lively conversation and as a place for people to meet other people, something that probably the supermarket doesn’t fulfil; providing a warm, friendly, fun and tasty place to be; where people can buy the things they need and love, like their daily bread and a few treats too.“National Craft Bakers’ Week is a celebration of all of that – that and the skills and the pride and passion of craft baking, we believe, are things worth celebrating. So come on bakers, let’s show them what we’ve got.”The NAMB will also be celebrating its 125th anniversary this year with a Gala Banquet on 3 November 2012 at The Guildhall, London.Gill Brooks-Lonican, chief executive of the NAMB, said: “Having filmed with Tom and Henry on the last episode of the Fabulous Baker Brothers – and I was told to be miserable, I promise – I am pleased that such talented and genuinely nice brothers have agreed to be the faces of NCBW. They are delighted to support the NAMB and other members in this exciting venture.”Bakers can register to take part in National Craft Bakers’ Week to receive the latest updates on planned events, activities, supplier offers, publicity tips and free POS material. To register, visit www.masterbakers.co.uk.
Dark Star Orchestra has been a fan-favorite Grateful Dead-inspired act for decades. The group is a well-known road dog, extensively and regularly touring the country and bringing their exacting recreations of specific Grateful Dead shows to the masses. Today, the band has announced the dates for their upcoming fall tour, which spans from late September to mid-October.Dark Star Orchestra’s tour kicks off on September 27th at Minneapolis’ First Avenue, with dates in Milwaukee and Chicago the following two nights. On October 1st, they hit Peoria, Illinois’ Monarch Music Hall, ahead of a four-night run that will see the band perform in Louisville, Kentucky; St. Louis, Missouri; Indianapolis, Indiana; and Detroit, Michigan, from October 3rd to 6th. After a date in Grand Rapids, Michigan on October 8th, the band will finish off their tour with a four-night spring across Fort Wayne, Indiana; Cleveland, Ohio; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and Columbus, Ohio, from October 10th through 13th.Tickets for Dark Star Orchestra’s upcoming fall tour go on sale on Friday, June 15th. For more information about ticketing or the group, head to their website here.Dark Star Orchestra Fall 2018 Tour: Sep 27 – First Avenue – Minneapolis, MNSep 28 – Riverside Theatre – Milwaukee, WISep 29 – The Vic Theatre – Chicago, ILOct 1 – Monarch Music Hall – Peoria, ILOct 3 – Mercury Ballroom – Louisville, KYOct 4 – The Pageant – St. Louis, MOOct 5 – Egyptian Room – Indianapolis, INOct 6 – Majestic Theatre – Detroit, MIOct 8 – The Intersection – Grand Rapids, MIOct 10 – The Clyde – Fort Wayne, INOct 11 – House Of Blues – Cleveland, OHOct 12 – Stage AE – Pittsburgh, PAOct 13 – Express Live – Columbus, OHView All Tour Dates
February 15, 2006 Regular News Briefs Briefs THE DIVERSITY SUBCOMMITTEE of the Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism met with Justice Raoul Cantero during a recent commission meeting at the Bar headquarters in Tallahassee. The subcommittee is currently engaged in assisting in the development of a CLE product extolling the benefits of diversity in the practice of law. Pictured from the left are Vivian L. Hobbs, Joseph D. Harbaugh, Maria D. Hale, Ramon A. Abadin, Larry D. Smith, Justice Cantero, Harriet W. Williams, James H. Earp, Karin L. Moore, William H. Davis, and Mary Ellen M. Borja. THE STETSON UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LAW trial team won the Trial Lawyers Section’s Annual Chester Bedell Memorial Mock Trial Competition for the 16th time in January. Stetson’s team of Arturo Rios, Angie Torrents, Senovia Lance, and Ruel Smith defeated students from Florida State University in the final round of the statewide competition. Rios was named Best Advocate for the competition. Judge David Demers, Susan Demers, Creighton Shafer, and Professor Roberta Flowers coached the winning team. “This is a premier, annual statewide competition and Stetson has won more than half of the total competitions,” said Professor Lee Coppock, who directs the trial team program. “The trophy is deservedly coming home this year.” In November, a Stetson Law trial team won both first and second place at the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers 2005 Honorable E. Earle Zehmer Memorial Mock Trial Competition and won first place at the 15th Annual Cathy Bennett National Criminal Trial Competition. Pictured from the left are Trial Lawyers Section member Jonathan Lynn of Miami, Florida Bar President Alan Bookman of Pensacola; Smith; Rios; Torrents; Lance; section member Eileen Tilghman Moss of Miami; section Chair Mark Buell of Tampa; and Flowers. THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI law school recently named George F. Knox, Jr., as the first recipient of the Henry ‘Lat’ Latimer Leadership and Professionalism Award during its 57th Annual Homecoming. Pictured from the left are Greg Cesarano, president of the UM Alumni Association; Barbara Perez, president of the Law Alumni Association; Dean Dennis O. Lynch; Knox; Tracie Latimer and Desiree Williams, daughters of the late Henry Latimer; Judge Jose E. Martinez; H.T. Smith; and Todd S. Payne, a past president of the Law Alumni Association. THE MANATEE COUNTY BAR recently recognized and recollected several decades of leadership and growth among the association and paid tribute to its past presidents. Pictured standing from the left are Alan Bookman, president of The Florida Bar, Judge John Blue, Judge Bob Boylston, Bob Scott, Frank Arpaia, Bill Garland, Jack Manson, Bill Fay, Bill Lisch, Dave Deitrich, Karl Youngs, Jack Hawkins, Tom Flynn, Gilbert Smith, Tedd Williams, Stan Swartz, Bart Ray, and Jim Wallace. Seated from the left are Patty Petruff, Judge Tom Gallen, Kim Bald, Greg Hagopian, George Harrison, Lori Dorman, Bob Blalock.
Loading… Ancelotti fancied Belotti when in charge of Napoli and remains a fan as he seeks a physical presence for Everton’s attack. Reports in Italy suggest Everton are one of five clubs interested in signing the Torino captain this summer.Advertisement Napoli, Fiorentina, AC Milan and Atletico Madrid are also interested in the center-forward. read also:Ancelotti elevates two teenagers to Everton training Belotti is weighing up his future as he seeks to spark his career ahead of next summer’s Euros. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Everton boss, Carlo Ancelotti, is reigniting his interest in Torino striker, Andrea Belotti.
By Rob HinckleyMAQUOKETA, Iowa (June 11) – The weather was all that knew its way around Maquoketa Speedway Saturday.Heavy rain Friday evening lasting into Saturday morning was all that was needed to call off action at the quick 3/8-mile dirt oval.Action continues this Saturday with the fifth annual Donna Heister Memorial and racing in all regular classes, the Andover Meat IMCA Late Models, QCJeeps.com IMCA Modifieds, B&D Pit Stop IMCA Northern SportMods, Ueland Auto IMCA Stock Cars, IMCA Hobby Stocks and Obie’s Bar and Restaurant/B&D Liquors 4 Cylinders.“Again this year we will be selling raffle tickets for various items which will include a meat bundle, a new barbeque grill, a filled Yeti cooler, many other cash and gift certificate prizes,” Tom Heister said. “Any and all proceeds from the raffle will be donated to Hospice of Jackson County in memory of Donna.”Tickets are on sale now at Obie’s, 3610 173rd Avenue in Maquoketa. You do not have to be present to win. The majority of the items are from local businesses and the proceeds will help families within Jackson County in their time of need, Hester said.Per Heister, support and prizes are courtesy of Obie’s, Fagan Graphics, B&C Liquor, Nite Equipment, Fareway stores, Osterhaus Pharmacy, Sullivan’s Foods, KMAQ Radio, RonAnn’s Floral Shoppe, K Motorsports, B&D Pitstop, Charlotte Locker, Trackside Promotions and others.Gates open Saturday at 4:30 p.m. Hot laps are 6:15 p.m. with racing to follow.
New Delhi : In the high-octane clash between India and New Zealand at Old Trafford, New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson won the all-important toss and opted to bat first. Kiwi skipper brought back their warhorse Lockie Ferguson at Tim Southee’s expense for the crunch game. India, on the other hand, took a brave call of not including Mohammed Shami in the playing XI who was ‘rested’ for the Sri Lanka clash.It has also left the Twitterati including some of the cricket experts baffled and the pacer’s exclusion is being questioned.Mohammad Shami has been India’s man for this year’s World Cup after being included in the playing XI in place of Bhuvneshwar Kumar, who missed a few games due to hamstring tore.The Bengal pacer stunned Afghanistan by picking a hat-trick against Afghanistan in a thrilling game and has so far picked 14 wickets in just four outings.With this, News Nation brings to you fans reaction after Indian speedster Mohammad Shami wasn’t included in the playing XI: It’s Shocking to know that Mohammad Shami is been drop in semi final dispite such a great performanceIs there any logic behind this decision#indiavsNewzealand— Imran Siddiqui Nadwi (@ImranNadwi) July 9, 2019#AskStar I ask all Indian team supporters and management that why today Mohammad shami out of playing 11…what he passed bad forms…— Mohd Sajid Ahmad Khan (@MohdSajidAhmad4) July 9, 2019the strange decision made from the Indian team missing wicket-taker #MohammadShami sure trouble to get a wicket today4 matches 14 wickets#CWC19 #INDvNZ pic.twitter.com/v20qiprqpr— iBrAhIm (@intimate1982) July 9, 2019 For all the Latest Sports News News, ICC World Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
…died from asphyxiation – PM resultsA taxi driver, who was arrested for driving under the influence and placed in the lockups was found dead at the Suddie Police Station.Dead taxi driver: Lallbachan BachanDead is Lallbachan Bachan of Lot 21 Maria’s Lodge, Essequibo Coast, Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam).Reports are the 39-year-old man’s lifeless body was found at 06:10h on Monday. He was arrested on Friday last after two arrest warrants were issued for him for driving under the influence of alcohol. Following the discovery, Bachan was rushed to the Suddie Public Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. The police in a statement said that the body bore no marks of violence. The police also said that Bachan was the lone prisoner in the cell.Meanwhile, speaking with Guyana Times, the dead man’s 68-year-old mother, Maharanie Bachan, said that she visited the Suddie Police Station on Friday to take food for her son, but she was not allowed to see him.“When me was at the station on Friday to take food for me son, the police take the food from me and they did not allow me to see he but me hear me son ah cry out fuh pain he saying that he nah feeling well but the police just ignored he,” the grieving mother said.According to the woman, she last saw her son, who was a former ambulance driver at the Suddie Public Hospital, on Sunday.She said that when he was taken out of his cell for it to be cleaned on Sunday, she was able to see him for five minutes.On Monday his sister said that the family was told of her brother’s death and they went to see his body at the mortuary.She reported that she saw swelling on her brother’s forehead and minor injuries on his hand and feet. Bechan leaves to mourn his wife, Samantha Bachan, and their four children.Meanwhile, a post mortem has been conducted by Dr Nehaul Singh on Monday and the cause of death was given as asphyxiation.
Sami Khedira 1 Arsene Wenger insists he has never had any interest in signing Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira.The German World Cup winner has been heavily linked with a move to the Emirates this summer.At one stage in July, reports in Spain claimed the Gunners had all but finalised a £25million deal for the 27-year-old.But Wenger says, with Jack Wilshere back fit and an array of midfield options at his disposal, he does not need Khedira.The Frenchman commented: “I don’t know who has put Khedira on the market – is it his agent or the press?“We were never close to signing him. Jack Wilshere is back fit and in midfield we have offensive midfielders and quite a few box-to-box players.”Wenger may not be in for Khedira, but he is ‘open’ to making more signings this summer.The Frenchman has been active in the transfer market so far, splashing out to bring in the likes of Alexis Sanchez, Mathieu Debuchy and Calum Chambers.“We still have three and a half weeks before the transfer market closes,” he said.“I am open to it but Joel Campbell has come back plus the addition of the four players we have already bought.“We have not lost players until now so we have a big squad at the moment.”
Wayne Rooney has been in sensational form for DC United He sent the hosts on their way to their latest win when he tapped in from close range following a brilliant run from Luciano Acosta in the eighth minute at Audi Field.The 32-year-old then turned provided for Acosta in the 24th minute before adding his second from the penalty spot 16 minutes from time.David Villa pulled one back for the visitors but it was a comfortable win for United, sealing a play-off spot for the first time since 2015.United can finish as high as third if they win their final game of the regular season at Chicago Fire next Sunday, which would clinch a home play-off match in the first round. 1 getty Wayne Rooney added another two goals to his MLS tally to as DC United booked their play-off spot with a 3-1 win against New York City.United were bottom of the Eastern Conference when Rooney arrived from Everton in June but the ex-England and Manchester United star has helped engineer a stunning turnaround in form.They are unbeaten in nine matches and Sunday’s win over NYC was their fifth in succession.Rooney has netted 12 times in his 19 appearances, and also contributed seven assists.