News News August 13, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Al-Akhbar reporter held and interrogated illegally by defence ministry February 4, 2021 Find out more November 11, 2020 Find out more LebanonMiddle East – North Africa LebanonMiddle East – North Africa Lebanese journalist found shot dead in car Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information to go further RSF_en The detention and interrogation of Hassan Allek, a reporter for the daily Al-Akhbar, by the defence ministry on 11 August were flagrant violations of media law, Reporters Without Borders said. They were prompted by a story by Allek that certain Lebanese government and military officials were cooperating with the Israeli intelligence services.Summoned to the defence ministry headquarters in mid-morning, Allek was taken into custody, interrogated by intelligence officers for several hours and finally released at the end of the afternoon. His interrogators tried in vain to get Allek to reveal his sources for the report. Allek’s lawyer was not allowed to attend.“Allek’s detention and interrogation were conducted in a completely arbitrary and illegal manner,” Reporters Without Borders said. “At the same time, the defence minister’s threats against him and the entire media profession raise doubts about a readiness to respect the rule of law on the part of those who are supposed to uphold it. This is disturbing for press freedom in Lebanon.”While Allek was still being interrogated, defence minister Elias Murr gave a news conference in the middle of the afternoon in which he announced that Allek would be charged with defamation and disseminating false information and warned that the same charges would be brought against any other journalist who made similar allegations against senior army officers on active duty.The procedure used with Allek was illegal under Lebanon’s 1974 decree-law on press freedom, which requires that any journalist suspected of defamation or reporting false information be interrogated before a judge and in the presence of his lawyer. Allek was not taken before a judge prior to his interrogation and no legal proceedings had been initiated when the defence minister made his public accusations against him. Organisation News Lebanon : Violence against reporters becoming more frequent in Lebanon January 14, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Lebanon Forum on Information and Democracy 250 recommendations on how to stop “infodemics” News
Google+ By News Highland – July 5, 2011 Facebook “Malin Waters” is the new consumer brand of the Sail West initiative The Sail West project has launched a new brand under which marine tourism will be marketted in the North West of Ireland and the West of Scotland.The MalinWaters brand reflects the Malin sea area which is well known to sailors and other watersports enthusiasts.It was launched during Seafest in Rathmullan at the weekend, with the website being improved and augmented throughout the summer.Frank Mc Grogan is Project Manager of the Sail West initiative……….[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/malinwaters.mp3[/podcast] Newsx Adverts RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th Pinterest Twitter Previous articleSpecial Olympians to receive heroes’ welcome in LetterkennyNext articleNo extra capcity will be created by new extension at LGH – Mac Lochlainn News Highland 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire Facebook Pinterest Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry WhatsApp Google+ Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal Twitter WhatsApp
Top StoriesCourts This Week- A Weekly Round Of Important Legal Developments In The Country [Episode-48] Taniya Pandey21 Jan 2021 4:12 AMShare This – x…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginNext Story
Metropolitan Police Department(WASHINGTON) — Newly engaged, with a list of goals that could fill five lifetimes, 35-year-old Wendy Martinez, an ambitious Washington, D.C., woman, was on her after-work run when it all came to an end.Six months later, Martinez’s fiancé is coping with the shock of the loss as he vows to fulfill a major goal she couldn’t reach: running the Boston Marathon.A brutal attackMartinez was running in D.C.’s bustling Logan Circle neighborhood on Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018, when she was stabbed seven times in the face, neck and back, in an unprovoked attack by a stranger, according to court documents.Surveillance video showed Martinez alerting others around her about the danger, authorities said.Officials said she stumbled into a restaurant after the attack where customers tried, unsuccessfully, to save her life.“She did nothing to deserve this,” her mother, Cora Martinez, told ABC News Friday, overcome with emotion. “Her faith, her passion for people and her determination to reach her goals … She was full of life, full of dreams. A person that really wanted to enjoy life even more. And she couldn’t.”Suspect Anthony Crawford was arrested two days later and charged with first-degree murder while armed, according to police.‘Living the happiest moment in life’Wendy Martinez moved to the United States from Nicaragua when she was 5 and was raised in Florida.A determined young woman with a “passion for people,” according to her mom, she was working as chief of staff at tech startup FiscalNote. But she also “kept looking for better ways to reach out to women,” said Cora Martinez. “My daughter was a great motivator.”A world traveler, she wanted to help Latina immigrants in the U.S., her mother said, and “had a dream about helping people from Nicaragua, women with low income, so they’d be educated and financially ready to become independent.”“She also developed this passion for running. She found in running a great way to find herself,” Cora Martinez said. “Not only to relieve her body from stress but to relieve her mind of any negative thoughts. So she would go run and she would dream while running. ‘What is next? What am I supposed to do in life? Who am I supposed to be helping?’”Running brought Wendy Martinez to her future fiancé, Daniel Hincapie, as he trained for his first half marathon a few years ago. A mutual friend suggested Wendy give him some tips, Hincapie told ABC News.They became a couple, and in September 2018, days before Wendy Martinez was killed, Hincapie popped the question.He decided to propose at her favorite spot in D.C. — the Spanish Steps.“To actually tell her that I loved her and I wanted to spend the rest of my days with her in that place had a lot of meaning,” he said. “It was a moment of joy… we were very much in love.”“She was living the happiest moment in life,” Cora Martinez said. “She was excited about what was coming.”Three days before the attack, the mother and daughter picked out a wedding dress.The 35-year-old would be buried in that dress.‘It’s almost like running with her’Crawford, Martinez’s suspected killer, underwent psychiatric treatment and medication for psychosis, and this month he was ruled competent to stand trial, reported ABC Washington, D.C., affiliate WJLA.Crawford is due to return to court on May 17. His defense attorney did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment.Hincapie called the shocking crime “one of those things I think that no one is prepared to face.”“And when you actually realize how random the whole thing was, it’s very difficult to grasp, because I think at the end of the day, we’re humans and we try to rationalize violence,” he said.Amid the grief, Hincapie said “the worst thing you can do is fall into hate,” so he instead chose to celebrate his fiancée’s life.“One of her dreams was actually to run the Boston Marathon,” Hincapie said — a race he’ll run in her honor next month.“Having the opportunity to fulfill her dream after what happened, it’s extremely symbolic,” Hincapie said. “She was running when she was attacked, so it’s also a way to tell the world [we will] finish her race.”“It’s a way to cope,” he said. “It’s also a way to connect with her. … It’s almost like running with her.”Beyond the marathon, Hincapie said he wants to inspire other young women to embrace a full life the way his fiancée did.“I want to young women to continue believing that it’s possible to be kind, to give back to the community, to pursue love and to be successful. Wendy represented all those aspects I think,” he said. “If you can be any person in the world, be someone like Wendy.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
View post tag: pay View post tag: Navy September 8, 2013 View post tag: News by topic View post tag: ships View post tag: Defense Back to overview,Home naval-today Chinese Navy Ships Pay Visit to Hawaii View post tag: Visit View post tag: Hawaii Three People’s Liberation Army-Navy [PLA(N)] ships pulled into Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Sept. 6, for a routine port visit. The crewmembers of the Luhu-class destroyer Qingdao (DDG 113), Jiangkai-class frigate Linyi (FFG-547) and Fuqing-class fleet oiler Hongzehu (AOR 881) are scheduled to participate in receptions and sporting events with their American counterparts. In addition to those events, they will also have the opportunity to visit the historical sites of Hawaii, including the newly unveiled statue of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, U.S. Pacific Fleet Commander during World War II.The visit will be topped-off with a one-day search-and-rescue drill, Sept. 9.“Like our Pacific Fleet Commander of today, Adm. Haney, Fleet Adm. Nimitz believed in a strategy of collaboration and cooperation to reinforce openness and enhance trust,” said Rear Adm. Rick Williams, commander, Navy Region Hawaii and Naval Surface Group Middle Pacific. “Through greater understanding we can ensure a peaceful and stable future not only for Hawaii and the Pacific, but also for the world.”This visit is part of a planned series of military-to-military exchanges between the two nations. Earlier this year Adm. Cecil Haney, commander of U.S. Pacific Fleet, visited China, as the guided-missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG 67) made a port visit to Zhanjiang.The guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Erie (CG 70) will be hosting the Chinese ships this weekend, which will also conduct dialogues to build confidence and mutual understanding between the two nations.Rear Adm. Williams continued to stress the importance of these exchanges, as he continued through his welcoming remarks.“Here in Hawaii, we are committed to doing our part to build regional stability,” he said. “Working with other nations in the Asia-Pacific we can develop increased understanding to deal with common challenges in this region including humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, piracy prevention and search and rescue missions.”Williams also stressed the importance of training in this area, building our future together and strengthening operational proficiency like the search-and-rescue drill.“We’re including a search and rescue exercise that includes maneuvers,” he said. “We’re going to have helicopters working together and working the airspace deconfliction, and we’re going to be doing small boat operations back and forth, to all the ships, and we’re going to be doing communication drills.”The last port visit by PLA(N) ships to Pearl Harbor was in September of 2006. Engagements such as this port visit, offer the U.S Navy an opportunity to build a positive and constructive relationship with the Chinese navy while encouraging multilateral cooperation, enhancing transparency and mitigating risk.[mappress]Naval Today Staff, September 08, 2013; Image: US Navy View post tag: Defence View post tag: Chinese View post tag: Naval Training & Education Share this article Chinese Navy Ships Pay Visit to Hawaii
Oxford’s Mixed Lacrosse squad finally got their season started with a satisfying Busa league victory over Cambridge. After suffering a succession of cancelled or postponed matches a hungry, motivated side blew the tabs away and, led by seven goal hero Nick troen, kept the cambridge keeper busy fishing the ball out of the Light Blue net all day.The match got off to a sluggish start as Cambridge arrived late, delaying the start by thirty minues and leaving some Oxford players concerned about a lack of light. But despite this disruption, Oxford sprang from the blocks, playing aggressively and at a fast pace. it took just two minutes for Troen to open Oxford’s account. By the end of the first quarter the Dark Blues had gone on to notch up seven goals, while had responded with only one, leaving Oxford goalkeeper sarah Lewis with little to do. The Oxford midfield outclassed its rival with Laurence Witherington, David howie and Oliver proudfoot confidently picking up and distributing the ball with thoughtful passes that regularly produced scoring opportunities, and the Light Blue defence just could not cope with troen’s pace and clinical finishing.After the first quarter Oxford started to make use of their other advantage, a large squad of substitutes. Tired players were given time to catch breath with a few minutes on the sidelines and as a result Oxford stayed on top of the match. in fact had no female subs at all, forcing one of their girls to play on through injury to ensure her team had the obligatory six women on the pitch.Throughout the remainder of the match Oxford continued to notch up goals, albeit at less of a pace than in the first quarter. There was an outbreak of grumbling about barging from in the fourth quarter but referee emily dennis quickly quelled it and the match finished in good humour. Oxford can now look forward to their next game against Hertfordshire with some confidence as they build up to their match with uea, who promise to be a sterner test.Oxford co-captain Bryony tomlinson was clearly satisfied with the outcome of the match, stating after the final whistle: “we were awesome, once we settled into the match, the play was simply beautiful.” Cambridge, meanwhile, were hoping for improvement. Mark Lee, playing left defence, explained, “Oxford definitely got the better of us, but we were down a couple of players and Iam sure that come Varsity the result will be much closer.” ARCHIVE: 6th week MT 2005
Merton College has achieved first place in the 2010-11 Norrington Table, the annual ranking which lists Oxford colleges according to finalists’ results. Merton has come first in seven out of the last ten Norrington Tables, making it by far the most successful college in recent times.Merton is followed by Christ Church – up from 7th place last year – and New, up from 5th place.Magdalen, which topped last year’s table, has dropped three places to 4th, while Corpus Christi, 2nd place last year, has dropped to 15th in this year’s ranking.The biggest improvement has been made by Mansfield, which was second to last in 2009-10, but has risen 17 places to 12th in this year’s table. Meanwhile, Oriel, 11th place last year, is second to last in this year’s rankings. Harris Manchester is in last place, marking the eighth time in the last decade that it has claimed the bottom position.The Norrington Table is created by awarding points to each student according to their results in Finals – 5 points for a 1st Class degree; 3 points for a 2:1; 2 points for a 2:2, and 1 point for a 3rd. To compensate for the varying size of colleges, the total number of points is divided by that college’s virtual “perfect score” (i.e. what the college would have scored if every finalist had achieved a 1st), and expressed as a percentage.The table released this week is based on interim figures; the final table will be compiled in September, once any appeals have been settled.The University stressed on Tuesday that the Norrington Table is not necessarily a reliable indication of college ranking, saying: “It should be noted when interpreting the data that the number of students per college is relatively small and the rankings are therefore of limited statistical significance.”The Norrington Table as it currently stands is as follows:1. Merton 75.06% 2. Christ Church 73.94% 3. New 73.93% 4. Magdalen 73.62% 5. Hertford 73.52% 6. Worcester 73.22%7. Wadham 72.85% 8. Jesus 71.79% 9. Exeter 70.89% 10. St John’s 70.74% 11. Brasenose 70.72% 1112. Mansfield 70.00% 12= Pembroke 70.00% 12= University 70.00% 1215. Corpus Christi 69.86% 1516. Lincoln 69.20% 1617. Trinity 68.84% 1718. Balliol 68.27% 1819. Keble 68.00% 1920. St Anne’s 68.00% 1921. St Hilda’s 68.00% 19 22. Queen’s 67.64% 2223. St Hugh’s 67.38% 23 24. Somerville 67.27% 2425. LMH 67.07% 2526. St Catherine’s 66.41% 2627. St Edmund Hall 66.24% 2728. St Peter’s 65.86% 2829. Oriel 65.58% 29 30. Harris Manchester 60.00% 301. Merton 75.06% 2. Christ Church 73.94% 3. New 73.93% 4. Magdalen 73.62% 5. Hertford 73.52% 6. Worcester 73.22%7. Wadham 72.85% 8. Jesus 71.79% 9. Exeter 70.89% 10. St John’s 70.74% 11. Brasenose 70.72%12. Mansfield 70.00% Pembroke 70.00% University 70.00% 15. Corpus Christi 69.86% 16. Lincoln 69.20% 17. Trinity 68.84% 18. Balliol 68.27% 19. Keble 68.00% 20. St Anne’s 68.00%21. St Hilda’s 68.00%22. Queen’s 67.64%23. St Hugh’s 67.38%24. Somerville 67.27%25. LMH 67.07%26. St Catherine’s 66.41%27. St Edmund Hall 66.24%28. St Peter’s 65.86%29. Oriel 65.58%30. Harris Manchester 60.00%
During the 1950s and 1960s, drive-in restaurants reached their peak of popularity in the United States. Workers enjoyed unprecedented prosperity in the post-World War II years, and with their rising incomes, people enjoyed eating out more frequently. Drive-ins conveniently combined America’s love of food and automobiles. Evansville’s first drive-in, Austin’s, was in operation by 1945, and others soon followed, including the Dubl “R,” Biff-Burger Al’s, Leo’s Big Boy, Calico-Gal, and the Parkway Drive-In on New Harmony Road, pictured here in 1968. Large fast-food chains, with drive-through lanes, eventually led to the decline of smaller drive-ins.FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail