Linden loggers, LM&TC strike 25% deal

first_imgReactivation of Kara Kara toll boothDuring a consultation on the reactivation of the Kara Kara toll booth last week, a deal was struck between members of the Logger’s Association in Linden and the Linden Mayor and Town Council (LM&TC) for registered loggers to pay 25 per cent of the total accumulative cost for trips made on a monthly basis.The loggers, once registered, will only be required to pay based on the number of trips they make while carrying logs past the toll point at Kara Kara, Mackenzie. In the past, the loggers were required to pay each time they passed the toll point.During the consultation, loggers registered their concerns over the hardships they were presently facing, and made requests for concessions during the start- up phase of the reactivation. The municipality initially proposed a payment of 50 per cent of the accumulated rate; however, the loggers disagreed, and suggested 30 per cent instead. Both parties eventually settled at 25 per cent.At the conclusion of the consultation, Mayor Carwyn Holland said that owing to the many hardships facing the loggers and the fact that they already pay taxes, the concession was granted. He also advised those businesses to ensure that they were registered in order to take advantage of the rate.“So, let’s say, the (monthly) rate, according to the toll point is $7000, they’ll be required to pay 25 per cent of that cost. This is (for) the Linden-based loggers with the logs…Once they pass with the trucks and with the items as is in the schedule. They have to bring in their registration to be on the registered list of operators…They can come in to the Council and get registered. Once you’re registered in Linden, you get the 25 per cent deal, (this is) to help the Linden businesses to pick up. The agreement between us and the loggers is to have this for one year and then it would be reassessed, to see whether we’re going to take it off or whatever,” Holland explained.The Mayor reminded that tolls would not be required for vehicles which were not carrying logs. The loggers and LM&TC are yet to arrive at a toll amount, which loggers would be required to pay. With the reactivation of the Kara Kara toll booth in the pipeline, the municipality has hosted a number of consultations with the community’s stakeholders.last_img read more

Seahawks rally in 9th to upend Vikings

first_imgA two-run double by Eric Naefke capped a five-run rally in the ninth inning and L.A. Harbor defeated Long Beach City College, 11-7, in a the South Coast Conference baseball opener Tuesday at Joe Hicks Memorial Field. Naefke finished 4 for 5 with a pair of RBI for the Seahawks, who improved to 8-9 overall, 1-0 in the SCC. Women’s golf Junior Kay Hoey shot an even-par 72 to capture the individual medalist honor with a 2-over-par 146 to lead Long Beach State to a fourth-place finish at the Kitahara Fresno State Invitational on Tuesday at the Copper River Country Club. Men’s golf CS Dominguez Hills Zach Jones shot a 5-over 77 over the final 18 holes to finish tied for 32nd at the Cal State Bakersfield Poor Boy Invitational. The Toros as a team edged Montana State-Billings, for 15th place. Sophomore Josh Williams started on the mound for the Vikings (7-11, 0-1), allowed six runs, just two of which were earned. The Vikings return to action at 2 p.m. Thursday when they host Pasadena City College. center_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

DRL track finals moved to Friday

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! 8:10 a.m. The Del Rio League track and field finals, orginially scheduled to be held today, have been moved to Friday at Downey High School. They will begin at 3 p.m. A league spokesperson said the reason for the change that was made “about” two weeks ago, was due to a facilities conflict at Whittier College, the site of the event in recent years.last_img

Council OKs $6.8 billion budget

first_imgFacing a tough budget year, the Los Angeles City Council approved Monday a $6.8 billion budget that again boosts the ranks of the LAPD, while holding the line or providing modest increases in other city services. Even as council members congratulated themselves on passing a fiscally conservative spending plan, city budget officials warned that Los Angeles could face dramatic funding cuts in the coming year. “As we look at this year and future years, there’s a lot of fiscal uncertainty,” said Councilman Bernard Parks, who chairs the council’s budget and finance committee. There’s slowing revenue growth and a backlog of infrastructure projects, Parks said. “We also know there is rising health care, pension issues, workers compensation, and some unprecedented legal issues that we’ll be confronted. All of them could cost of hundreds of millions of dollars.” Indeed, Chief Legislative Analyst Gerry Miller said his staff will begin to develop backup plans in case the city loses up to $260 million in utility users taxes that are being challenged in court. And Parks said the city would have to consider cutting personnel and programs, if those funds are lost. In the face of potential budget troubles, city leaders voted to place more money in the reserve fund, increasing the savings account to $201 million – the largest it has even been, officials said. In addition, the council supported Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s proposal to raise fees for brush clearance, ambulance service and planning, police and street services permits. And the council moved up implementation of a $26 trash-collection fee – from Jan. 1, 2008, to this September – in order to significantly increase funding for the Los Angeles Police Department to hire 780 officers this year. “We’ve known we’ve seen choppy waters in the fiscal environment of late and we have put aside the necessary funding to make sure Los Angeles remains the strongest big city in America fiscally,” Council President Eric Garcetti said of the city spending plan. The budget approved Monday includes: $2 million to help with the restoration of Griffith Park after a recent wildfire. $10 million to hire 250 new Fire Department recruits. $280,000 to complete several community plans. In addition, the council increased funding for sidewalk repair by $4 million and tree trimming by $1 million after those budgets were cut by the mayor. Council members also voted to provide $1.3 million for 1,250 new Tasers for LAPD officers, and they restored $1.75 million for City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo to hire gang prosecutors, school safety specialists and other positions. kerry.cavanaugh@dailynews.com (213) 978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Arsenal were NEVER in for Khedira, insists Wenger, as he rules out signing Real star

first_img Sami Khedira 1 Arsene Wenger insists he has never had any interest in signing Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira.The German World Cup winner has been heavily linked with a move to the Emirates this summer.At one stage in July, reports in Spain claimed the Gunners had all but finalised a £25million deal for the 27-year-old.But Wenger says, with Jack Wilshere back fit and an array of midfield options at his disposal, he does not need Khedira.The Frenchman commented: “I don’t know who has put Khedira on the market – is it his agent or the press?“We were never close to signing him. Jack Wilshere is back fit and in midfield we have offensive midfielders and quite a few box-to-box players.”Wenger may not be in for Khedira, but he is ‘open’ to making more signings this summer.The Frenchman has been active in the transfer market so far, splashing out to bring in the likes of Alexis Sanchez, Mathieu Debuchy and Calum Chambers.“We still have three and a half weeks before the transfer market closes,” he said.“I am open to it but Joel Campbell has come back plus the addition of the four players we have already bought.“We have not lost players until now so we have a big squad at the moment.”last_img read more

Juventus team news: Predicted XI to face Monaco in the Champions League

first_img 5. Miralem Pjani? (central midfield) 15. Andrea Barzagli (centre-back) 17. Mario Mandžuki? (inside left) 1. Gianluigi Buffon (goalkeeper) – Click the right arrow above for our predicted Juventus XI to face Monaco in the Champions League… 11 11 11 11 11 12. Alex Sandro (left wing-back) 3. Giorgio Chiellini (centre-back) 9. Gonzalo Higuaín (centre forward) 19. Leonardo Bonucci (centre-back) 11 11 11 11 21. Paulo Dybala (inside right) You can listen to Juventus v Monaco in their Champions League semi-final second leg LIVE on talkSPORT with coverage starting from 7pm.Massimiliano Allegri will have to be extremely wary of any kind of complacency when his side take on their French opponents in Turin.The Serie A side may have a 2-0 lead going into the second leg of the semi-final, but know if any team is capable of getting the goals to down them, it is Monaco.Luckily for Allegri, he has an almost full strength squad to choose from, with just Marko Pjaca and Daniele Rugani definitely out of the match.So, how will the Serie A side line up? Click the right arrow above for our predicted Juventus XI to face Monaco in the Champions League… 11 6. Sami Khedira (central midfield) 11 23. Dani Alves (right wing-back)last_img read more

Takeaways: Sharks call Bennett’s hit ‘gutless’, ‘predatory’

first_imgCALGARY, Alberta — Calgary Flames coach Bill Peters guaranteed it. His team delivered.In a conversation with Sharks coach Pete DeBoer on Monday morning, Peters guaranteed that his team would bring its A-game to the rink in the showdown for first place in the Pacific Division, a response to the Flames’ 1-2-2 record over their previous five games. The Flames showed up and proved just how much offensive fire power they have, scoring eight goals in a romp of the Sharks on home ice.In doing so, …last_img

Kanye West’s Web Presence a Runaway Success

first_img4 Keys to a Kid-Safe App West’s website is simple, but effective in promoting his videos and Twitter activity. The top half of the homepage features Kanye’s 34-minute mini-movie entitled Runaway. The real-time conversation around Kanye is highlighted directly below, with a short stream of tweets tagged with “runaway.” Below that, there is a link to Twitter.com (surprisingly, not Kanye’s own Twitter profile page) and “Join the conversation” leads to a Twitter search results page for “#runaway OR #runawaymovie”.The words “GOOD FRIDAYS” leads to a collection of free music downloads, although you need to enter your email address to get the music. At the bottom of the page is a screenshot of the album, with links to buy it on iTunes.Meanwhile over on Facebook, the best part of Kanye West’s page is an app called BandPage. BandPage provides a playlist of Kanye songs and videos, similar to what MySpace has done for years but which Facebook never emulated. When we reviewed the Facebook page of Arcade Fire last August, actual music was conspicuous by its absence. So I’m pleased that Kanye’s web designers found a way around that. As for how much of the man himself we see on Facebook, there’s no sign of West posting there – the Wall is made up entirely of his tweets. Speaking of MySpace, Kanye offers a well-designed presence there too. On YouTube, he has a page via Vevo – the joint venture company that includes Universal Music Group, the umbrella organization that releases West’s music.Overall, Kanye West has a well designed web presence and his own voice is clearly heard through Twitter. West is a highly opinionated and entertaining artist, so Twitter is an ideal tool for him to communicate to his fans. It’s logical then that both his website and Facebook page rely heavily on Twitter content.Finally, it’s worth noting that Kanye West has taken full advantage of Internet song leaks. Songs from MBDTF were leaked to the Web throughout 2010, which created hype and much interest in the album when it was released last November. Kanye reportedly leaked some songs himself, although they were different mixes from those on the final album. Whatever you think of Kanye’s music (personally, I’m a fan), he’s utilized social media smartly and to loud effect. Let us know in the comments what you think of Kanye’s web presence. Tags:#music#NYT#web richard macmanus Related Posts center_img Kanye West is savvy and smart when it comes to promoting himself and his music, so it’s no surprise that he’s taken to Social Media in a big way. Kanye’s Facebook page has 5.6 million fans, he’s a regular tweeter with 2.2 million followers, and Twitter is a prominent part of his website. Since social media is now an integral part of the entertainment business, services like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube have become key to a musician’s success. Kanye West released his latest album at the end of last year: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Both leading up to the release (with music leaks and controversial tweets) and after (further mouthy tweets and a 34-minute epic video released on YouTube and his website), West has utilized the social Web masterfully. 9 Books That Make Perfect Gifts for Industry Ex… 5 Outdoor Activities for Beating Office Burnout 12 Unique Gifts for the Hard-to-Shop-for People…last_img read more

Sunil Gavaskar showers praise on Test skipper Virat Kohli, says he was born to lead

first_imgFormer captain Sunil Gavaskar on Thursday described Test skipper Virat Kohli as someone born to assume leadership role and hoped he will live upto the expectations of the people.”He (Kohli) was born to lead. He led the under-19 team, and even as a player he was looking to learn from others. That is the big plus about Kohli that he learning. He makes mistakes, all of us make mistakes. But there is so much optimism with him becoming the captain, something which scares you. There is so much of expectations from the young man, it is sometimes scary but he will be upto it,” Gavaskar said.Kohli today scored 103 runs and shared a 227-run partnership with opener Shikhar Dhawan (134) for the third wicket as India posted 375 all out, taking a substantial 192-run lead in the first innings of the first cricket Test against Sri Lanka at Galle.Also read: I see a bit of Maradona in Kohli, says Ganguly Sri Lanka were reduced to 5 for 2 in two overs in their second innings and Gavaskar said the hosts won’t be able to save the match anymore.”I don’t think they will be able to recover. They might be able to save an innings defeat if they bat well and get a few partnership. Otherwise, I don’t think they will be able to save the game. Only the weather can come to their rescue or else I think India is going to win with plenty of time to spare,” Gavaskar said.advertisement”I hope it is a three day thing. But Sangakkara is there and if he plays the innings of his life then it might stretch to the fourth day,” he added.Asked about Kohli’s ploy to open bowling with spinners R Ashwin, Amit Mishra and Harbhajan Singh, Gavaskar said: “It was top class thinking. I thought the way Ashwin was bowling, this is what he would try, Ishant at one end and Ashwin at other end. But with only four overs to go, he went with the spinners because in case it didn’t work, the ball with still be hard enough for the new ball bowlers tomorrow.”I think it is a tremendous move. Yesterday he might have missed a chip but that is the beauty of Virat Kohli, he keeps learning all the time,” he told a news channel.Also read- Ind vs SL: Kohli and Dhawan back amongst the runs   Asked if Sri Lanka missed their skipper Angelo Matthews, who could not turn up to bowl as he had flu, Gavaskar said: “Yes, absolutely. When you lose your skipper, you lose direction.”When the main man is not there, it does affect the team. Because they seemed bereft of ideas when Dhawan and Kohli were batting. But by the way Kohli and Dhawan were batting, I don’t think even his presence would have mattered,” said the former captain.Talking about Shikhar Dhawan, who got a couple of reprieves during his innings, Gavaskar said: “A century is a century. As a batsman, you get one chance often but he got a couple of chances today.”When you get chances, you make the most of it and that’s what he did. He went from 100 to 134 and at the end of it, these extra runs will make a difference between India batting in the second innings or batting for chasing not too many.”Down the order, wicketkeeper-batsman Wriddhiman Saha, scored a steady 60 before being getting out in a debatable dismissal.Gavaskar said: “He (Saha) had this opportunity and he recognised it to do something. With the pitch playing a bit easier and Sri Lankan bowlers apart from (Tharindu) Kaushal not able to turn, he applied himself there and again those extra runs matter.”last_img read more

Milkha Singh advocates resumption of Indo-Pak sporting ties

first_img(Eds: Adding a para)Patna, Dec 17 (PTI) Sprint legend Milkha Singh today advocated resumption of sporting ties between India and Pakistan, as sports help in developing friendship between countries.”In sports, our teams should go there (Pakistan) and their teams should come here,” Singh, popularly known as the Flying Sikh, said.He was talking to reporters here in the state capital, after flagging off a half marathon race.”I would ask both Pakistan and India that it would be better if they live with love and affection… We should play games as much as possible as sports help in developing friendship,” Singh said.After Pakistan aided a terror attack in Pathankot in 2016, India have severed sporting ties with the country. PTI AR RBT LNSlast_img